• Access the Electronic Reserve Readings link on your student Web site for Week Nine.
• Select one of the topics below and read both articles that present opposing sides of the argument surrounding that topic.
o Animal experimentation
o Media violence
• Answer the following questions in paragraphs of approximately 100 words demonstrating your critical and creative thinking skills.
1. Identify if the topic you chose, as presented by both articles, is a problem or an issue and explain what makes it a problem or an issue. If you believe the articles present both problems and issues, identify and explain what the problems are and what the issues are.
2. Were the problems or issues expressed effectively? Describe how the problems or issues were or were not best expressed.
3. How would you determine the credibility of the sources of information used by the authors in the articles when investigating the problems or issues presented by your topic? You can determine the credibility of sources by determining whether the author has qualifications, credentials and by asking what they are. Do they have a relevant degree from an established university? Do they have experience in the field they are writing about? Check to see if they have any past writings on the subject. 4. Compare two steps that would be most effective in refining solutions to the problem and resolutions to the issues presented by your topic. When comparing the steps that would be most effective to refining a resolution to the issue presented in my topic, I need to decide what needs to be done. For example, how do I gather my information to dispute the argument that violent behavior is not promoted by video games?
5. Identify three strategies that could help you foster criticism when evaluating both arguments for your topic.
6. Identify three steps in refining that would be most effective to refine your solution to the problem.
7. Identify at least three errors affecting truth and validity in the arguments for your chosen topic.
8. Summarize the steps you completed while evaluating both sides of your topic.
9. Explain what techniques you would use to present your ideas on this topic and persuade others effectively.
10. Identify three approaches you will use to apply these techniques to effective writing and speaking skills