Mental Illness Paper
Resource: Human Diseases: A Systemic Approach
Review Table 14-1 in Ch. 14 of Human Diseases: A Systemic Approach.
Select a form of mental illness from the following list:
· Alzheimer’s disease
· Anxiety disorder; select one of the following:
o Panic disorder
o General anxiety disorder
o Any phobic disorder
o Obsessive– compulsive disorder
o Post-traumatic stress disorder
· Anorexia nervosa
· Bipolar disorder
· Bulimia nervosa
Write a 1,300- to 1,650-word paper including the following:
· Explain the history or background of the illness, including myths, misconceptions, and past treatments.
· Describe the signs and symptoms of the selected mental illness.
· Identify the neurotransmitters associated with the illness and discuss how they are related to the signs and symptoms.
· Describe how the illness is diagnosed, including the tests and type of professionals involved.
· Describe the treatments and how the patient’s environment can promote or detract from successful treatment.
· Describe how diagnosis and treatment of the illness today compares to diagnosis and treatment of the past.
Include at least two sources other than the text.
Format your paper consistent with APA guidelines.
Post your paper as an attachment.