1. What smoking cessation information is currently being included in the discharge education of your patients in your practice setting?
2. What, if any, additions related to smoking cessation will you be adding to your discharge teachings as a result of this lesson? Please provide rationale.
3. What are the common symptoms associated with an exacerbation of COPD?
4. What assessment techniques will you use to assess Mary?
5. Identify smoking strategies that would be appropriate for each of the encounters that Mary had with the nurse throughout the video that could have been used to assist Mary in quitting smoking.
6. Find a resource in your community that could assist Mary. Start by searching the Internet for your local health department’s website. What services are available to Mary? Briefly describe the services that the state quit line provides. Does it meet the 4 As? Is it accessible, acceptable, affordable, or available for Mary?
7. What will you do to follow-up on Mary’s smoking cessation process?